Wednesday, May 30, 2007

40 years ago today...almost!

Friday is the 40th anniversary of "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".



RINGO: "Sgt Pepper was our grandest endeavour. It gave everybody – including me – a lot of leeway to come up with ideas and to try different material."

PAUL: "After the record was finished, I thought it was great. I thought it was a huge advance, and I was very pleased because a month or two earlier the press and the music papers had been saying, 'What are The Beatles up to? Drying up, I suppose.' So it was nice, making an album like Pepper and thinking, 'Yeah, drying up, I suppose. That’s right.'

GEORGE: "I liked Sgt Pepper when it was finished. I knew it was different for the public, and I was very happy with the concept of the cover."

JOHN: "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is one of the most important steps in our career. It had to be just right. We tried, and I think succeeded in achieving what we set out to do. If we hadn't, then it wouldn't be out now.

[Quotes from The Beatles Anthology]

No comments: