Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bob Dylan on John Lennon

"John and the Beatles were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid. Everybody else thought they were for the teeny boppers, that they were gonna pass right away. But it was obvious to me that they had staying power: I knew they were pointing in the direction where music had to go."

(Bob Dylan)

"I've always liked the way George Harrison plays guitar - restrained and good. As for Lennon, well, I was encouraged by his book. Or the publishers were encouraged, because they asked me to write a book and that's how Tarantula came about. John has taken poetics pretty far in popular music. A lot of his work is overlooked, but if you examine it, you'll find key expressions that have never been said before to push across his point of view. Things that are symbolic of some inner reality and probably will never be said again."

(Bob Dylan - Playboy, 1978)

No comments: