Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mimi on John

This is a quote from John's Aunt Mimi. I had never seen it before, so I thought I'd post it here for you to read.



“It makes me livid when people make snide remarks about John’s millions and ask what he ever did for Liverpool. To set the record straight, he gave away one-tenth of his income every year secretly to a charity for spastic children. He didn’t make a big fanfare about it. It was just something he wanted to do without fuss. If people have the chance to make money, they would be mad not to. The secret is to make sure it doesn’t ruin your life and make you swollen headed. John still cared deeply about people and about the world. In his last letter to me, there was one paragraph that summed it all up. It read, ‘So many people are dying so young from getting cancer or some other such horror. I count my blessings, Mimi. Believe me.’” - Mimi Smith, February 1981

No comments: