Monday, October 09, 2006

Lennon's widow signs up as official 08 ambassador

Lennon's widow signs up as official 08 ambassador

By Larry Neild, Daily Post


John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono celebrates the ex-Beatle's 66th birthday today by becoming an official 08 ambassador for Liverpool.

She has given her support to Liverpool's European Capital of Culture celebrations, saying she feels like an adopted Liverpudlian since first visiting Merseyside in 1967.

Yoko filled in her official 08 Ambassador form with the line: "Liverpool, Liverpool, stay magical and beautiful. Your future is whatever you wish to make. I love you!"

On what would have been John Lennon's 66th birthday, the New York-based artist spoke her love for the city and how it had shaped the man she loved.

Yoko filled in her official 08 Ambassador form with the line: "Liverpool, Liverpool, stay magical and beautiful. Your future is whatever you wish to make. I love you!"

On what would have been John Lennon's 66th birthday, the New York-based artist spoke her love for the city and how it had shaped the man she loved.

She said: "I am so proud to support the Liverpool 08 Ambassador Programme. I fell in love with Liverpool the first time I went there in 1967 as an artist.

The Japanese-born mother-of-two is a frequent visitor to the city, recently donating Lennon's childhood home to the National Trust and participating in the 2004 Liverpool Biennial festival of contemporary visual art.

She added: "After John's passing, the people of Liverpool have been very kind to me. When I'm in the far corner of the world having a hard time for one reason or another, I think of Liverpool, and it calms my heart.

"It is the city that shaped the man I love: John Lennon, his poetry, his sense of humour, and his Northern resilience to hard life. We met, and we fell in love. And I know that part of John's heart was always with Liverpool, his hometown. He was a proud Liverpudlian, and when I prayed that Liverpool would be chosen for 2008, I knew that John was with me all the way."

Full story at icLiverpool

No comments: