Saturday, September 16, 2006

Thought For The Day #6

"I think one of the saddest things in the entire world is a man who is unhappy in his work. Men are motivated by a desire to be successful in their life’s work. I don’t necessarily mean financial success, but rather the kind of satisfaction and fulfilment you get out of doing a job you like and doing it well. It’s a feeling of giving something of yourself to society, to other people, to eternity.

"The important thing is to do something the way you, as an individual, see it as being right. Take The Beatles’ music, for example. We’re branching off into countless different directions, and some people may very well not like the form of music we’re working with. But the point is that we think it’s important for us to do this. We’re growing, prospering and satisfying ourselves by the kind of work we’re doing.

"The film that I acted in is another example. Testing my acting abilities was a new form of work for me which brought me a great deal of pleasure. It was something that I worked hard at and enjoyed doing. Working your hardest at something that you enjoy, regardless of what anyone else thinks or does, is what I truly feel is love of work."

John Lennon on 'love of work', November, 1967

No comments: