Sunday, August 27, 2006

Paul's Close Shave!

From "For Teens Only", April 1965

Paul's Close Shave!

It was a time of danger – an experience he can’t forget! When you read all about it, you won’t forget it either!

“I have a problem,” Paul confided to us one day. “It’s not actually a terrible problem but it is somewhat irritating.”

“Do you mind telling us what it is?” we asked him.

“I think you already know,” he smiled. “After all, you are looking at me. Even in pictures, my problem shows up. So it’s really no secret. It’s this…don’t you think I need a shave?”

“Well…” we said, not knowing quite what to say.

Paul laughed. “You don’t have to be diplomatic. I look like I need a shave. But the truth is – I shaved a few hours ago! And that’s my problem. I always look like I need a shave! And people usually tell me so, too!”

“Are you going to do something about it?” we wanted to know.

He told us, “I already did. I decided to give myself a really close shave.”

Paul went out and bought a brand new stainless steel razor. He also bought some special shaving cream that was supposed to be absolutely wonderful for giving a close, clean shave. He polished his bathroom mirror until it sparkled – so he could be sure what he was doing. He gathered together all his bottles of beard softeners, before-shaving lotion, after-shaving lotion, skin freshener and men’s cologne.

He splashed water on his face, then used two of his special lotions. He put just the right amount of shaving cream on his skin and picked up his bright new razor.

Paul smiled and said, “After I’d started to shave, I realised I’d forgotten to prepare one important item – band-aids! By the time I’d finished my ‘close-shave’ I really needed them!”
Paul wasn’t in danger of bleeding to death, but he did look just a bit strangled.

He told us, “I’d wanted to impress all these people who said I needed a shave. But after I was finished, I needed a doctor! I guess I’ll just have to learn to live with my problem. Another close shave like that could kill me!”

We like Paul’s face just the way it is. And we wouldn’t advise him to try to change it. After all, the last time he did, he had a very close shave – in more ways than one!

No comments: