Saturday, August 26, 2006

John's Magic Moment

This article appeared in "For Teens Only", July 1965.

Close your eyes for a second and think of something wonderful. Then open them and see what thrilled John so, so much!

John's Magic Moment!

Everybody has memories of happy times they’ll probably remember and cherish forever. Perhaps yours is of a birthday party or a wonderful dance or a talk with a best girlfriend. Well, John has a cherished memory, too – of a magic moment he’ll never forget.

He told us, “The first time I kissed Cyn was one of the happiest times of my life. I guess that’s when I first got the idea that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I knew as soon as I’d kissed her that she wasn’t just ‘another girl’ to date and have fun with. It was a very special moment.”

John and Cyn were both attending the Liverpool College of Art. They knew each other and had dated twice before. But the night of their first kiss was also the first time they’d dated alone!

John confided, “I felt a little shy with Cyn, although I don’t know why. She was so pretty and so nice, I felt lucky to be with her. And that made me just a bit afraid that I’d do or say something wrong. I didn’t want to hurt or offend her.”

John took Cyn to a movie and then for a bite to eat. As they sat in their booth, she talked about school and John’s extra-curricular love, music!

John smiled and said, “Cyn understood right away how I felt about my music. It was almost as if she knew me better than I knew myself.” He grinned widely and continued, “I guess you can say that’s the truth now, anyway.”

When John and Cyn left the restaurant to go to Cyn’s home they were very quiet. They just walked along together, looking at each other at times, but saying nothing. Then John reached out and took Cyn’s hand.

As John continued to speak he got sort of a ‘mellow look’ and said, “Her hand was so soft – like a kitten or a little puppy. It made me feel wonderful, just touching her.”

All too soon, John and Cyn were standing in front of her door.

“I had fun, John,” Cyn said quietly.

“So did I,” John answered.

And then he put his arm around her shoulder and leaned down to kiss her. His first kiss was a quick one – but it was tender.

John got a gleam in his eye as he said, “Of course we’ve had many many kisses and much love and happiness since then. But I look back at that moment – that first kiss – as the most magic of all. I think I’ll remind Cyn about it as soon as I can!”

We aren’t sure what happened when John reminded Cyn but we have a pretty good guess. So the next time John tells us about a magic moment, you’ll have a pretty good idea about when it happened!”

No comments: