Friday, June 09, 2006

The Toy Boy


This picture of John with a giant toy panda was taken by Robert Freeman in 1965 and a colour version was used to illustrate "The Toy Boy", one of John's poems which was published in the magazine McCall's.
The publisher Jonathan Cape had asked John to write a third book to follow "In His Own Write" and "A Spaniard in the Works". "The Toy Boy" was the only piece John had finished before plans for the book were abandoned.
After searching everywhere for a copy of the poem, I've finally found it at Snoupi's Saloon.

2 comments:

Snoupi said...

Hi, Singmyheart,

I'm gratified to see that you are as excited to find a reference to The toy Boy as I was.

I like the title of your blog. John Lennon was, no doubt, a reader of Khalil Gibran:

Lennon: "Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it just to reach you, Julia."

Gibran: "Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it so the other half may reach you."

Lennon: "When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind."

Gibran: "When the singer cannot sing his heart, the speaker can only speak his mind."

Hope you enjoyed my sharing this little tidbit.

Snoupi

singmyheart said...

Thanks Snoupi! I've been trying to find The Toy Boy for ages and your blog is the only place I've ever seen it.

I remember reading somewhere that it was Donovan who introduced John to Khalil Gibran (Donovan wrote a song called "Sand and Foam" which is also the name of the Khalil Gibran book that 'Julia' was based on.) I think it's quite likely, considering that Donovan was in Rishikesh at the same time as the Beatles and taught John the finger picking style that he used on "Julia".